~*Welcome*~

Thanks for visiting our family blog. Take some time to look around. Please leave a comment for us. We love hearing from our family and friends. ♥

Saturday, January 9, 2010

~A Little Lite Reading~

TV. If kids are entertained by two letters, imagine the fun they'll have with twenty-six. Open your child's imagination. Open a book. ~Author Unknown
We have been instilling some "NO T.V. Time" at our house lately. Usually it is "NO T.V. TUESDAYS", but we needed to get serious about our collection from our last library trip.
Well with all that extra time that can be found from not vegging out, we were able to complete our latest library collection last night. Friday night without TV? How preposterous! How refreshing!

Caiden was able to read/be read to- 21 books. He always enjoys listening to stories but isn't having as much fun when it comes to learning to read new words. He did awesome though. We are so proud of the effort that he is making in learning to read.... GOOD JOB CAIDEN!

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991

I have been working my way through every Margaret Petersen Haddix book that I can get my hands on. (I have 3 left out of 24) She is a young adult fiction writer that is just fun and safe to read.... I LOVE HER!!! Anyway, the series that I just finished up was the Shadow Children's series. It has 7 books in all. Scott and I started and completed the final book last night. We enjoy taking turns reading aloud. It is true that everyone loves to be read to.

Scott's reading goal for the year is one novel a month. He is off to a great start. He has read 4 books already.... GO SCOTT!

My reading goal is to find another author that I love and go through their list of books. I love reading and in December I read about 9 or 10 books- not including the countless children's books. We continue nightly to read scriptures both as a family and as a couple and I feel so accomplished as we make it through each section.

A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

1 comment:

Emu Monkey said...

I think the no TV thing is a great idea. We love books around our house so the kids don't usually have a problem with it. Nathanh has the hardest time because he still has to be read to. Keep up the great posts I love hearing about your family.