Belize was the most interesting experience that we had on our whole vacation. It reminded us a lot of Jamaica. It is a third world country where poverty is prevalent, a place where the people are extremely pushy and where tourism is on the rise for a few different reasons.
Diving is exceptional here. Belize has the second largest barrier reef in the world. We had a dive trip scheduled for this day but chose to do something different instead.The Cruise directors caution you strongly about venturing out of the port gates on your own.
You are immediately accosted by people selling their handy work, offering their services or panhandling. The banks have guards posted outside with machine guns. I was freaking out!!!
I am all about adventure, but this day truly pulled me out of my comfort zone.
We left the safety of the port and found ourselves riding into the rain forest with a man named Jimmy.
The land is littered with debris and hurricane damaged homes. Poverty is evident everywhere you look. Scott said that it reminded him of the favelas in Brazil. This day made me love our home in New Mexico. I thanked my Heavenly Father for our blessings that we receive each day and for being able to appreciate all that I have.
Our first stop was the Belize Zoo. It is in the rain forest far from the city. The weather was rainy and cloudy and it started pouring buckets as soon as we got to the zoo.
Caiden and Mia had a lot of fun running through puddles, catching rain with their tongues and just being kids.
Jimmy asked if we wanted to wait out the rain to see if it would stop. The kids were already soaked and we were all in our beach clothes. We decided to venture out in the rain. It felt wonderful! It was so warm and clean. It reminded us of Massachusetts in the summertime.
I have ALWAYS loved playing in the rain. I don't know who had more fun, me or Caiden.
I enjoyed splashing in the puddles and being so wet that we could wring out our clothes.
They are hunted by the thousands.
The animals that we saw were: Jaguars, howler monkeys, peccary's, tapir, different birds, alligators, and deer. (The rain kept us from getting any good pictures)
Look how drenched we are!
Our family on a bridge.
Caiden was excited to touch a Boa Constrictor. He was surprised that it didn't feel slippery like worms do. I don't mind snakes (with the exception of rattlesnakes). Scott was perfectly content taking the pictures and did not want to touch the snake at all.
This photo didn't capture it, but his hat was so wet that it was running off of it.

I thought the vegetation was very beautiful here.

I thought the vegetation was very beautiful here.
Next we drove to the "beach" It was a resort/man made play area complete with zip-lining an awesome water slide and a sandy beach that the kids made sand castles in.
Caiden and Mia getting ready to go to the beach.

Caiden found a cave.

You have to walk through the museum/ cantina style resturaunt to get out to the beach.

Cucumber Beach

Caiden and Mia enjoying the water.
Caiden found a cave.
You have to walk through the museum/ cantina style resturaunt to get out to the beach.
Cucumber Beach
Caiden and Mia enjoying the water.
Scott was having fun finding hermet crabs along the retaining wall.

Jimmy didn't fail us. He was with us for the entire day. He didn't leave us in the rain forest, he showed us some neat things and took us to the only beach in Belize city. He was awesome!!!
He even took us by his daughters school so we could say "Hi". He drove up to the school, honked and yelled at some kid to go fetch her. She came out and he said. "I have some tourists in the back, say hello. She waved shyly and went back to class.
It was pretty funny.
It was our second formal night and Caiden crashed out before the food ever came. He had a huge day playing in the rain and the sunshine, the rain forest and a beach.
IT WAS AN UN-BELIZE-ABLE DAY!!! 
We came back to the room and I immediately fell asleep. Caiden continued to sleep for the entire night.
We came back to the room and I immediately fell asleep. Caiden continued to sleep for the entire night.
Remember the Peccary from the zoo? Signe worked her magic and made Caiden his very own.


No comments:
Post a Comment