~*Welcome*~

Thanks for visiting our family blog. Take some time to look around. Please leave a comment for us. We love hearing from our family and friends. ♥

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

BUSY DAY

We had a really fun but busy day today. I am trying to help them find a balance between relaxation and boredom. They are always in a dilemma because they are told (not by us) that they should be playing team sports and be involved with extra things.... I am under the firm belief that the most important team that they will ever play for is their family and that they do not always have to be off being raised and taught by other people while there are two willing and capable parents wanting to spend time with them.

I asked the kids what kind of a summer that they wanted to have. Each one said that they just wanted to have fun hanging out with each other and not having to think about school stuff.

I am pretty sneaky though, I got them some math games and we have been reading as a family. I guess the key is to keep it informal. They have all been working on their computer skills but I am (for now) keeping the game system turned off.



We are back on chore rotation and it is funny to hear the chores that each kid likes or dislikes.

Jensen really hates washing dishes, Ashton hates folding laundry and then you have the older kids that do everything without complaining... (Thank you, guys!!!)



What makes our days so busy is all the family time that we spend together each night.

We rode bikes together for a couple of hours and went down to the baseball field and hit the ball around. Each kid hit several balls and everyone enjoyed having dad pitch to them.

The kids were surprised that Caiden could hit the ball too. He has a natural ability for hitting... it's crazy! It was fun to see that each child was willing to try and had fun playing together.

I think that because they were in a family setting that it wasn't as hard for them to find their confidence.

When we got home from our evening walk; we ate a delicious dinner, got everyone showered, brushed and tucked in by 9:15. We then spent the next half an hour reading scriptures and a new book series that we have started. Lights out by 9:45. Did I mention that all the chores got done today too? I have some fabulous kids!

I wish there was one extra hour in the evening after Scott gets home from work. There is just so many things that we want to do with our little ones, but time goes by quickly.

I tend to wonder what memories they will take with them as they get older.

Will they remember all the family time? Will they appreciate it?

I also tend to wonder what will make the greatest lasting impression on our children. Will they resent our humble home or will they relish in the fact that they had two parents that spent every possible moment showing them that they matter and that they are important above all the worldly and material matters?

I love that Scott's job NEVER keeps him away from the home in the evenings. What a blessing it is to have no commute time and to have him get to spend lunch with us each afternoon. He is home by 4:35 each day... how cool is that?

I have to say that although someday we want to have a fancy house... our family and the time that we spend together is our primary focus. So for now, that house will have to wait. I am OK with that and am becoming more grateful each day for the hidden blessing that are being found from living here.


As for me, I remember that I had my basic needs met but my memories are the things that we did together as a family.

No comments: