~*Welcome*~

Thanks for visiting our family blog. Take some time to look around. Please leave a comment for us. We love hearing from our family and friends. ♥

Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Serengeti Just Got a Little Closer To Home!

I was getting annoyed when I would find dead things on my porch. I complained about it to my sister and she informed me that this is how kitties show their love and submissiveness for their owners. He must love us a lot because this morning he brought us home an entire giraffe.


Oh wait, that's not our cat, and the giraffe he brought home was smaller, too.


This is the one he brought home...


Link (our cat) has been bringing us all sorts of 'gifts' home lately.
He leaves them on the back patio by the door so that they can't be missed when we try to come outside. His kills have consisted of numerous lizards, some are just mauled and others are a foot or tail. He has given us entire birds or some have been just feathers and feet. He has also given us beatles and grasshoppers. I think he must be getting bored with 'small' game and has decided to go for more of a challenging prey.

I found it absolutely fascinating that although Link is a domestic cat, the instinct of a predator is still absolutely active and controlling his behavior. I wasn't able to capture it on film, but he was dragging it by it's throat using his teeth. The instinct to shake it and kill it was so strong.
The fact that he went for the jugular vein and the bowels proved that he is a hunter that follows the laws of nature.

I think he was a bit disappointed that all that came out was cotton stuffing.
Old instincts die hard!

1 comment:

Emu Monkey said...

I love it! That is too cute. Wonder what he would do if he saw a real giraffe